Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Starting Off

I've decided to do this blog to keep everyone updated as I end this journey I started almost 12 years ago. I am finally ready to remove my colon completely and thus rid myself of ulcerative colitis forever! I decided this would be the best way to keep all the people who might care updated and save some cell phone minutes along the way. I will be posting when I can but I am going to give mom the password so she can post while I am still out of it so everyone knows how I came through. I'm a little more then excited, I think the nervousness might kick in about the day before the surgery.

Speaking of surgery I saw the surgeon today and the surgery is set for June 21st. Things sound like they are going to be a bit easier then expected so here is what I found out. I have an appointment set up for the Thursday before to talk to a lady that will teach me all about having a bag and also another appointment to be preadmitted so I don't have to do much the day of the surgery. Sunday I will have have to stop eating at noon and go to clear liquids and then stop even that at midnight. Monday the 21st they will knock me out (not sure what time) and they will make one three inch cut around my bellybutton and about three other small band aid size cuts to take out the colon. They will attach the end of the small intestine to my belly where I will have a bag for 6 to 10 weeks. The surgery should last about 3 to 3 and a half hours. They said that night I will be sitting up at bedside and the next day I will be up walking. I can return to normal food as soon as possible...like the next day (crazy I know). I should be out of the hospital within 5 days and will be able to stay on my own within 2-3 days. 6-10 weeks later I will go back in for a second surgery where they will close the hole for the bag, fold the end of the small intestine back on itself (will look like a J) to form a pouch and attach it so I can once again go to the bathroom like a normal person.

There are a few drawbacks. I will probably always have to go to the bathroom more then a normal person but it will be about half of what I am doing now. There is also a very real chance of infection in the pouch they create or something like the uc can come back in it. In cases like that they have to replace the bag. I could also have problems having kids later but there is some studies that are showing that that may not be the case especially in people who have never had any other surgeries before (that would be me) so I'm not going to worry about that, it is in God's hands anyway.

So, if you are the praying type start praying. If not, when this is all said and done with you can buy me some taco bell or something else I have never been able to eat...I have a lot of eating to catch up on! Oh and if you happen to know where I work you should come by in the next week and tip me well because I will be very poor soon and I only have a week left :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the news. We will keep you in our prayers. I hope the surgery goes well and the recovery is better! We will keep in touch.
    Hannah's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey good luck,Melissa. My thoughts are with you! YAY you for being able to eat all that disgustingly fatning food you never got to eat before. Its exciting :P XOXO - Rachael

    ReplyDelete